Protein antigens are recognized by specific B and T lymphocytes in peripheral lymphoid organs, and the activated cell populations come together in these organs to initiate humoral immune responses (Fig. 11-7). The interaction between helper T cells and B lymphocytes is initiated by the recognition of protein antigens, and the sequence of events that drive B cell proliferation and differentiation is as follows:
• Antigen is taken up by dendritic cells that have also been activated by microbial products and presented to naive helper T cells in the T cell zones of lymphoid organs.
• Helper T cells are initially activated by the dendritic cells presenting antigenic peptides on class II MHC molecules and also expressing costimulatory ligands such as the B7 molecules (see Chapters 6 and 9).
• Activated helper T cells express CD40L and also che-mokine receptors that promote their migration toward the follicle following a chemokine gradient.
• B cells in the lymphoid follicles are activated by antigen, which may be in soluble form or displayed by other cells.
• B cells process and present the antigen, alter their cell surface chemokine receptor profile, and migrate toward the T cell zone.
• Activated helper T cells and B cells interact at the boundary of the T cell zone and follicle, where the B cells are activated by CD40L on the helper T cells and by cytokines that the T cells secrete.
• Small extrafollicular B cell foci form in the medulla of the lymph node or between the periarteriolar lym-phoid sheath and the red pulp of the spleen. B cells in these foci undergo low levels of isotype switching and somatic mutation and generate short-lived plasma cells that secrete antibodies.
Was this article helpful?
All Natural Immune Boosters Proven To Fight Infection, Disease And More. Discover A Natural, Safe Effective Way To Boost Your Immune System Using Ingredients From Your Kitchen Cupboard. The only common sense, no holds barred guide to hit the market today no gimmicks, no pills, just old fashioned common sense remedies to cure colds, influenza, viral infections and more.