For each question, choose the ONE BEST answer or completion.
1. Plasmids used as cloning vectors
A. are circular molecules.
B. have an origin of replication.
C. carry antibiotic resistance genes.
D. have unique restriction endonuclease cutting sites.
E. all of the above.
2. A cDNA clone library is a collection of clones representing
A. the entire genome of the sample tissue.
B. all protein-coding gene sequences in the genome of the sample tissue.
C. all intronic sequences of genes expressed in the sample tissue.
D. the mRNAs expressed in the sample tissue.
E. all tRNAs being used in the sample tissue.
3. A cDNA clone library can be screened with an antibody if
A. the plasmid vector contains a convenient promoter such as that of the lac operon to increase expression.
B. the plasmid vector contains a multiple cloning site.
C. the nylon "colony lift" membrane is first soaked in alkali to denature DNA.
D. the nylon "colony lift" membrane is first treated with a strong protease to break peptide bonds.
E. an antibody that recognizes IPTG, and that is linked to an enzyme such as alkaline phosphatase, is available.
4. A radioactive gene probe can be synthesized by the method of random priming if the following factors are present in the incubation mixture:
A. The DNA template from which the probe will be made, present as single-stranded DNA
B. The four deoxynucleotides, dATP, dCTP, dGTP, and dTTP, one of which should carry a radioactive tag
C. Primers for DNA synthesis
D. DNA polymerase
E. All of the above
5. To sequence DNA using the automated dideoxy chain termination method, the reaction mixture should contain the DNA to be sequenced plus
A. the four deoxynucleotides, dATP, dCTP, dGTP, and dTTP.
B. the four dideoxynucleotides, ddATP, ddCTP, ddGTP, and ddTTP, each carrying a different fluorescent tag.
D. DNA polymerase.
E. all of the above.
6. The technique called
A. Southern blotting is used to analyze RNA.
B. western blotting is used to analyze DNA.
C. eastern blotting is used to analyze RNA.
D. Southern blotting is used to analyze DNA.
E. northern blotting is used to analyze protein.
7. Each cycle in the polymerase chain reaction involves the following steps:
A. Polymerization then annealing then denaturation
B. Denaturation then polymerization then annealing
C. Denaturation then annealing then polymerization
D. Denaturation then chimera formation then polymerization
E. Denaturation then polymerization then sequencing
Was this article helpful?