For each question, choose the ONE BEST answer or completion.
1. Which of the following steps is NOT part of translation?
A. Synthesis of mRNA
B. Charging of tRNA
C. Initiation of protein synthesis
D. Elongation of the polypeptide chain
E. Termination of protein synthesis
2. In bacterial and eukaryotic mRNAs, the normal start codon for protein synthesis is
3. The enzyme that attaches the amino acid to its tRNA is
A. aminoacyl mRNA synthase.
B. aminoacyl tRNA synthase.
C. amino acid attachment enzyme.
D. elongation factor tu.
E. tRNA polymerase.
4. Bacterial mRNAs usually have the nucleotide sequence 5' GGAGG 3', which bonds to
C. the 30S ribosomal subunit.
D. the 40S ribosomal subunit.
E. protein initiation factors.
5. The enzyme that catalyzes the formation of a peptide bond between two amino acids is
A. amino acid transferase.
B. peptide joinase.
C. peptidyl transferase.
D. peptide elongation factor.
6. Which of the following do NOT play a part in the termination of protein synthesis?
A. The codons AUG, AGG, and GUA
B. The codons UAA, UAG and UGA
C. Release factor 1
D. Release factor 3
E. Peptidyl transferase
7. The base hypoxanthine in the nucleotide inosine can hydrogen bond with
Was this article helpful?